Fart Sparked a Fire During Surgery in Japan – Patient Seriously Burnt

A patient’s fart during a surgical procedure allegedly sparked a fire which caused her to be seriously burnt, the Tokyo Medical University Hospital in Shinjuku Ward said.

The incident was reported by the Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun.

The fire occurred at the university hospital in Tokyo on April 15. The patient, in her 30s, was undergoing an operation where a laser was applied to her cervix, the lower part of the uterus.

The laser is believed to have been ignited by the gas she passed. The fire burnt a lot of parts of her body body, including her waist and legs, the report said.

A committee of external experts who examined the case said in a report released on Oct 28 that no flammable materials were in the operation room during the surgery.

They also said that the medical equipment was in perfect order.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s